Welcoming Ms. Driscoll to HHS

Natalie Garson, Managing Editor

This year, Hastings High School is thrilled to welcome many new teachers onto its staff, including two new additions to the world language department. One of these new teachers, Ms. Ellen Driscoll, teaches Latin, including Latin III and IV, which is a combined class for juniors and seniors.

Driscoll was drawn to Latin by her father, an orthopedic surgeon, who told her all about the Latin origins of bone names. “He would tell me things like, the clavicle is a diminutive form of clāvis and clāvis means “key,” so clavicle is a little key. And the Romans used to use clavicle bones and hollow out the marrow in the end to make original keys. I always thought that was really cool.”

Driscoll went on to mention several more bone-related Latin root words, like the tibia, which comes from the Latin word for flute or pipe. Another example is the Romans’ use of a pelvis bone as a cup for offering sacrifices in ceremonies. “I just thought this was totally fascinating. And so that’s what led me into studying Latin,” Driscoll said.

Driscoll also reflected on her decision to teach. “It’s so much fun to be around students and children, and it’s so rewarding to be a part of their growth.” This is her twelfth year teaching, and she has taught at many different schools in New York and Pennsylvania, including public and private schools in Westchester, Manhattan, and Queens.

This year, Driscoll is “excited to get to know my students more as learners and as people.” She wants to learn more about her students, including their interests and activities.

She also shared that she is a good gluten-free baker. “I keep a strict gluten-free household because I have a child with celiac and I didn’t know how to do that at all three years ago. But I’ve learned a lot and I can make many, many really good gluten-free foods now.”