The Buzzer

The Student News Site of Hastings High School

The Buzzer

The Buzzer

Tell us your thoughts!

What types of articles would you like to see next publication?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Checking in with the Hastings Public Library’s Youth Librarian Allee Manning

Checking in with the Hastings Public Librarys Youth Librarian Allee Manning

Allee Manning is the youth librarian at Hastings Public Library. Allee runs many programs at the library including book clubs and stories/sing-alongs for toddlers. One of her current projects is the Westchester LGBTQ+ History Project. This project records the history of LGBTQ+ activists within Westchester, some of which include Z Paige L’Erario, Micheal Sabatino, and Robert Voorheis. As of now, the majority of its records include recorded interviews with these activists. This project has holds a variety of opportunities for Hastings High School students to get involved.

There are many ways to get involved that are currently available to Hastings High School students as of now in the Westchester LGBTQ+ History Project. One of the main opportunities that is currently available is transcribing interviews done with Westchester LGBTQ+ activists. Another opportunity that is becoming increasingly important is promoting this project along with social media management. Besides these larger opportunities, smaller openings like research projects, including looking through autobiographies and noting whenever Westchester is referenced, for example, are also available.

As of now, the LGBTQ+ History Project is progressing steadily. It is currently entering its crowdfunding phase in order to raise money for research trips and such. Starting in early 2024, the LGBTQ+ History Project will be doing presentations in at least three libraries across Westchester. The Project is also set to start working with The Loft, which is Westchester’s LGBTQ+ social service providing group.

The Hastings Library also holds a Lunar New Year celebration every year. Lunar New Year is a 15 day celebration that comes from Eastern and Central Asia and celebrates removing the bad and welcoming the good. The library has opportunities for people to become involved with celebrations like these as well.

The library also has many opportunities for clubs to host events in the library. Inquires about these can also be done with Allee Manning. 

To contact Allee Manning about getting involved with the library, you can email her at [email protected]

The Westchester LGBTQ History Project can be found on Instagram at @westchesterlgbtqhistoryproject