The Buzzer

The Student News Site of Hastings High School

The Buzzer

The Buzzer

Tell us your thoughts!

What types of articles would you like to see next publication?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Hastings Ski Team Season Recap

The pilot Hastings High School Ski Team had a remarkable first season and shows a very promising future. After an approval for a two year pilot program, Hastings High School received interest from 24 HHS students to join this exciting new sports team. The ski team competed with Ardsley as a joint team in the Section 1 Skiing South League against teams from schools including Dobbs Ferry, Irvington, another joint team between Bronxville and New Rochelle, as well as other teams from the Westchester and Rockland County area. This two year pilot program, the first year having just concluded, is being used to gather information on whether Hastings will officially have a Hastings Ski Team during the 2025-2026 school year.

Photo from: Tobias Navarrete

On February 15 at Hunter Mountain, three Hastings skiers Olivia Huang (9th grade), Andrei Zuk (9th grade), and Georgia Schmit (8th grade) participated in the Section 1 ski sectional tournament. Georgia Schmit placed 11th out of 73 competitors qualifying her to compete at the NYSPHAA state round of the skiing championships. Andrei Zuk also had a great showing, placing 15th out of 68 skiers, just missing the cutoff for the state round. Olivia Huang also skied great, yet unfortunately did not qualify for states.

After the tremendous success of this season, it looks like the obvious choice to introduce a permanent official ski team at the end of the pilot program.

Congratulations to the Ski Team’s successes so far!