The Buzzer

The Student News Site of Hastings High School

The Buzzer

The Buzzer

Tell us your thoughts!

What types of articles would you like to see next publication?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Caitlin Thomas Wins Big in the Steeplechase

On March 11, 2024, Hastings High School’s Caitlin Thomas won in the 200M steeplechase event in the Glenn D. Loucks Games in White Plains. I sat down with Caitlin  to talk about this amazing achievement and what it means to her. This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

NG: So, to start, can you tell me a little bit about what the steeplechase is and what this particular achievement means?

CT: The steeplechase is five laps around the track. There are hurdles that you jump over and there’s a water pit, too, and you try to get as far out [as you can] so you don’t fall [into it]. And at Loucks, I won, which is nice, and I got the school and county records. And I think right now I’m in the US top five or 10. So I’m excited to go to championship season. 

NG: What does your training look like?

CT: I do pretty high mileage. I usually run five or six miles a day. And for the steeplechase, I just practice doing hurdles. So I’ll do repeats of different distances at different paces with hurdles to make sure I’m really comfortable getting over them. And the distance helps build my endurance for a longer race than a steeplechase. 

NG: Where are you going from here in the track world?

CT: I’m going to the New York State Track and Field Championships in Syracuse at the end of this week [June 7 and 8]. And then I’m going to Nationals in Pennsylvania. I might also go to Oregon for Nationals.

NG: What’s your favorite thing about running?

CT: Everything. It’s pretty fun. I like doing well and working hard, and I like the people.

NG: Thanks for talking with me, Caitlin!

CT: Thank you!