The Buzzer

The Student News Site of Hastings High School

The Buzzer

The Buzzer

Tell us your thoughts!

What types of articles would you like to see next publication?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Welcoming Mr. Hills to HHS

This year, Hastings High School welcomed new teachers in a variety of subjects, from history to science. The Science Department welcomed Mr. Austin Hills, who teaches Physics, Astronomy, Robotics, AP Physics C Mechanics, and AP Physics C Electricity and Magnetism.

Mr. Hills first became interested in physics when he was in high school. He always liked math, but realized the magic in physics, as it “helps explain how the world works, but also piques my math interest.” He went on to get a Bachelor’s Degree in education and physics and later a Master’s in Educational Technology from SUNY Oneonta, as well as a second Master’s at Columbia in School Building Leadership. Previous to joining the Hastings district, Hills taught a variety of different physics classes at a school district in Rockland County.

Coming to Hastings from a very different area, Hills is excited to be “in the community here and learn about Hastings and what [students here] have to offer.” Because it is a small community, Hastings provides a good opportunity for people to know and support each other, which was also appealing to Hills.

In addition to learning more about the school and the community, Hills looks forward to teaching life lessons, as his class “teaches students to problem-solve, look at things from a different angle, and critically think,” which are all skills that are applicable in adult life. His AP classes might be hard, he says, but “you can’t run away from it because in life you can’t run away from things…you have to learn how to fight through something that’s really difficult.”

Hills is also a devoted sports fan and golf player. He is an 8 handicap in golf, which he has been playing for his whole life, and is also an avid Mets and Jets fan. He is looking forward to joining the HHS community!